In the blink of an eye, March Madness is slowly reaching its end. It’s been a wild tournament with two teams, arguably three, no one saw coming.
The last four teams will play for a spot in the National Title game Saturday, and the big one, the final two, will take place a week from today.
So with that said, here are few random factoids, pertaining to this year’s field, you can “impress” your buddies with at the bar for a few seconds before the next random topic becomes discussed:
- This is the first time all four teams are from flagship schools. Connecticut, Florida, Kentucky, and Wisconsin. This is the first time since 2002 this has happened.
- Kentucky is the first eight seed since the 2011 Butler Bulldogs to reach the Final Four. Butler was the National Runner-Up that season.
- This is only the second time a seven seed has made it to the Final Four. The last time it happened was 1984 when the Virginia Cavaliers made it, but were knocked out by the Houston Cougars in the semifinal round.
- The last time the SEC put two schools in the Final Four was 2006. LSU made it to the Final Four, while the Florida Gators won the title that season.
- They actually had a third place game from 1946 to 1980.
- This guy got a tattoo before the tournament even started. He may or may not be the single most dumbest and smartest man in the country.
— Tyler (@Tizzblack) March 13, 2014
- The last Big Ten team to win the National Title was Michigan State in 2000. At least one Big Ten school has made it to the Final Four 10 out of the last 15 seasons and have made four of the last five.
- Connecticut and Kentucky are the lowest seeded teams in the Final Four, yet are the most recent (2011, 2012) to win a National Title.
- This is Wisconsin’s third Final Four appearance. The first came in 1941 and the second in 2000.
- If you add up the seeds from this year’s field and last year’s, you get 18 both times.
- Three Nike schools make up four of the teams—Kentucky, Connecticut, and Florida. This bodes well for our eyes, because Adidas will only have Wisconsin to torture us with special Final Four jerseys, if they go that direction.
Enjoy the rest of the games!